Today was a big orientation day for international students...filled with lecture hall fun, life sucking financial aide discussions, AND Dunedin's infamous train ride that takes you on a journey through the rugged and spectacular Taieri River Gorge. We got to go across wrought iron viaducts and through tunnels carved by hand more than 100 years ago. The entire train was filled with international students and stopped at a VERY small town called Middlemarch. Here we all fell out to a full BBQ lunch (surprisingly good!) and then hopped back on for the journey home. The views were ridiculous, and not captured in these photos. Plus, between the moving train, the moving sheep, and the slow American... many Kodak moments were tragically missed. The severity of the mountains were in and of themselves fantastically disorienting. So much so...this blogger is still a little dizzy from hanging out the window...just to see the mountain tops! I only picked a couple of the photos I took, because eventually they start looking the same. I loved that I was hours on a train with so much landscape that still seems untouched by people... very cool!
For those of you who care...the yellow star is where I went:
Inside of the railway car:
Taieri River Gorge:
I love train rides! I am getting to live vicariously through you. Beautiful pics. Glad you weren't in the earthquake.
ReplyDelete