Thursday, February 17, 2011

St. Clair, Otago

St. Clair is a place just south of where we are in Dunedin.  It's known as one of the better surfing beaches in the area.  I am told this is in part due to the slightly warmer waters.  Not having yet put a toe in the ocean, I have little to base this on...this is still the case.  In Dunedin, the sun was high and wonderfully warming.  In St. Clair...the air coming off the ocean was not so much.  Mark braved the cold waters and reported that indeed, I would not be pleased if I stepped in.  I was, however, amazed how many people braved the waters and seemed to enjoy themselves.  It's my belief that they eventually went numb!
So, I was content to sit on a bench and just look out over the waters, and of course...take a couple of photos!

First, for those of you who aren't sure where in NZ we are...look for the star at the bottom:

It's not quite as tropical as the North Island, but you wont hear any complaints from me!




One surfer and one ocean kayak.  Both of these I hope to do, but maybe in warmer weather.

I love this... it's the shark warning bell!!

Maybe next time there will be a photo of us IN the water.  But I hear the ocean never feels THAT warm...so maybe just of Mark in the water and me in the sand.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I grew up there (on the Esplanade, it's now the "Swell Cafe"... and the guy who bought it off of us owes us money!).

    Yah it's cold, except 100 M out, a nice fault line where the sharks lurk :)

    ReplyDelete