Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Little Bit of History

Dunedin is a Scottish settlement from way back when (not to be mistaken for the days of yore and that of yesteryear).  Dunedin is the Gaelic name for Edinburgh (Scotland's capital).  The architecture and city streets mark a fine resemblance to that of any good Scottish city.  So, it came as no big surprised when we ended up smack in the middle of a Scottish Festival of sorts.  Actually, I think it was more of a battle of the bands...because you could hear the screaming cats for MILES!!  At least this is how one coffee vendor described the sound coming from the MANY MANY bag pipes.  Having never seen a "Pipe Band" competition...or really even just a pipe band in general, I was intrigued.  So as far as I could tell this is how it goes.  First the band marches into the designated area...



Then they do their thing...




Here's one of the judges.  I feel like maybe they didn't have Ray-Ban's way back when, in the days of yore, nor yesteryear...but who am I to say...


Then the band marches out...



For the most part the bands were comprised of younger people, but the sidelines were littered with an older crowd in full gear!


And lets not forget the ever so famous Scottish tradition of having a pint in your hand
while wearing a kilt... 

Neither of us were sporting our kilts, as they were both at the cleaners...permanently! 
Big Scottish fun for all!

3 comments:

  1. omgosh.....I can so see mark in one of those in a few years!! too funny!! And you'd better be responding soon...you know, earthquake and all....we're a bit nervous there chica!! Awesome pics though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jill-breathlessly awaiting Mark's kilt debut! Maybe you could do a calendar for Christmas this year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark MUST get a kilt! I want photos!

    ReplyDelete